Skip to main content

Full text of "Pennsylvania Museum Bulletin. Number 49, January 1915"

See other formats


w 



m 



6 






BULLETIN 

OF THE 

PENNSYLVANIA 
MUSEUM 

MEMORIAL HALL 

FAIRMOUNT PARK 

PHILADELPHIA 



[^<&JSi£ 



PUBLISHtD QUARTERLY BY THE 

PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM AND 

SCHOOL or INDUSTRIAL ART 

SUBSCRIPTION ONE DOLLAR A YEAR 
JANUARY 1915 




WW 



fi 



£ 




Enterta Aupusl 27, 1903. at PhiladBlphia, Pa., as Si-r.ond-Class Matter, 'under Art of Congress of July 16, 1894. 



PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



Soart) of ZtMBtccB 



The Governor of the State, Ex-Of. 



The Mayor of the City, Ex-Of. 



Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg Thomas Skelton Harrison Theodore C. Search 



Charles Bond 
Jaubs Butterworth 
John G. Carruth 
Harrington Fitzgerald 
John Gribbel 
Charles H. Harding 



John Story Jenks 
John H. McFadden 
John D. McIlhenny 
Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs 
John T. Morris 
John W. Pepper 



Edgar V. Seeler 
Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 
Mrs. Joseph P. Sinnott 
Edward T. Stotesbury 
James F. Sullivan 
William Wood 



®fficer0 

THEODORE C. SEARCH, President 

• Vice-Presidents 



JOHN STORY JENKS, \,,. 



JOHN G. CARRUTH. 
JAMES BUTTERWORTH, Treasurer 
EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Secretary 
LESLIE W. MILLER, Principal of the School 



EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Editor 



Bulletin 



for 3anuar^, minctcen MunDrc& an& fifteen 
CONTENTS 

PAGE 

Anna Selbdritt Group and French Madonna. By Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson. 1 
Metal Work Recently Acquired ■ . 3 



The Bronze Groups in Front of Memorial Hall . . 
Sofa of the Louis XVL Period. By Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson 

Vandalism in China 

Notes 

Accessions 

General Information 



6 
7 
8 
9 
14 
16 



BULLETIN 

OF 

THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

JANUARY, 1915 THIRTEENTH YEAR Number 49 



"ANNA SELBDRITT" GROUP OF THE FOURTEENTH CENTURY AND 
FRENCH MADONNA OF THE FIFTEENTH CENTURY 

A curiously archaic wood carving representing Anne, the Virgin, and the 
Holy Child, was recently acquired by the Museum, through the generosity of 
Mrs. John Harrison. It is now on exhibition in the Gothic alcove that bears her 
name. 

The group (height two feet, si.\ inches) is of the well-known mediaeval 
Flemish and German type in which Anne seated bears on her right knee the 
seated Aladonna, who in turn on her left knee holds the Standing ChUd. The 
latter's left hand is extended and strokes his mother's chin. The wood is covered 
with gesso, the painting on which has been restored, especially in this the case 
with the red color, of which little remains of the original. The blue is better 
preserved. 

It was represented, when purchased, as Italian. But the motive is usual 
in Flanders and in Gennany where variants of the group are known as "Anna 
Selbdritts." And although the gesture of the Child recalls the delectable little 
early Madonna and Child in the gallery of Perugia, in which the Child looks up 
into the face of his mother and seizes her chin with his hand, one can hardly 
escape from the conclusion that our group belongs to the "Anna Selbdritt" 
series of Flemish and German fotuleenth century carx-ings of which one is in the 
South Kensington Museum. There it is attributed to England and must be as 
late as 1495-1520, judging from the dress of the figures. Alfred Maskell, in his 
admirable work on "Wood Carving," however, does not hesitate to assign it to 
the same provenance as the example in the Erfurt Cathedral, which is by Riemen- 
scheider or his school; and as another specimen in the Bavarian National 
Museum. Indeed, the type is by no means uncommon. The original idea of 
representing in art Anne teaching her daughter to read was German. _ The two 
women are alone over a book. By a curious inconsistency there was derived from 
this an elaboration by which the Virgin was shown sitting or standing on her 
seated mother's lap as in our example . holding the Child standing on her left 
knee. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



Until the thirteenth century the Madonna usually was represented alone — 
"A figure of hieratic dignity; the chosen one amongst all by the Almightj^" 
In time, her head was turned toward the Child sitting on her lap. In the thir- 
teenth century she is represented as the loving mother. In the early examples 
the Child is usually clothed. The earliest groups in which he appears unclothed 

to the waist do not occur until the 
middle of the fourteenth century. After 
that date he is usually quite naked. It 
is also about this time that he is first 
seen at the breast, especially in England. 
Toward the end of the century the 
early mediaeval thought of triumphant 
queenship is replaced by the expression 
of human motherhood. 

In the ivories of the Cluny Musemn 
the Child either sits, or as in our ex- 
ample, stands on the mother's left knee, 
instead of being held, as in the later 
case, in her arms. In Hamburg also 
there are examples of such disposal. 
Another interesting point is the treat- 
ment of the Child's hair, which, as weU 
as the pose and general character, brings 
this group en rapport with the examples 
of the fourteenth centurj^ 

While St. Anne, the mother of 
Mary, does not appear in any of the 
Gospels, she is a common subject in 
legendary art and her legend is given 
in the "Apocryphal Gospel of the Life 
of Mary." There, she is mentioned as 
the wife of Joachim of Nazareth, who 
after twenty years of sterility brought 
forth a daughter whose birth and high 
destiny were miractdously announced 
to her and to Joachim by an angel. 
When Mary was bom, her parents 
brought her to the temple and dedicated 
her to the Lord; and, according to the 
same tradition, her betrothal to Joseph was accompanied by miraculous mani- 
festations. 



■ ^^ 1 




■ifiJ3?^^L 


^A^^^..,^» 


'dH'^' *^.vvJ^K 1 


(tii^m 


»"'^^P .'-^^ 1 


V;mm^ 


,||^S ^^J 


Jr^^t, 


v^h^P^Sk 


^^m^\^ 


' fl0i^p vT^^'^^^^^^^H 


gw 


..'.'■■t^y i/i^m! 


mR^^w^H 


: ^9! 


mm 


-•^M 


mM 


■ j^PI 


99^ 


^^ ^ha^i^^^iiii^'ZZ ■ 


M^H 


^^■/^^B^^^pSfc— 


-r-^^^^^^H 


IJHMiliHlil 


ifl^^H 



"Anna Selbdritt" Group 

Flemish or German Fourteenth Century 

Gift of Mrs. John Harrison 



Another Madonna carved of wood, but of the French School, also has 
recently been acquired bj' the Musetim. It measures three feet, four inches in 
height and probably' belongs to the fifteenth century. The more classical lines of 
the face and the grace of the folds of the drapery show it to be a product of a more 
advanced art. There is no vestige of color on the figure. If ever colored, it has 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



been washed clean, and no trace of it remains. On 
the face, however, which is covered with a finely 
polished brown patina, there are certain uneven 
surfaces that lead one to suspect that a priming of 
some land was used. The face beneath its bare 
wood draperies now comes out dark and smoothly 
polished with attractive effect. But a doubt arises 
as to its original condition. 

The Child here also is fully clothed after the 
usual archaic fashion noted above as prevalent 
until the middle of the fourteenth century. No 
example exists before that time of the Child being 
represented unclothed even to the waist, as after 
this date he begins to appear. This might incline 
one to give the group an earlier date were it 
not for the treatment of the hair, which is rather 
more curled than it is apt to be in earlier similar 
groups. 

One arm of the Virgin has been broken off at 
the elbow; and both the hands of the Child also 
are missing, as well as some of the toes which pro- 
truded below the dress. The left side of the statue 
is broken off, where the seat and drapery probably 
appeared as on the other side. This leaves exposed 
a rough surface showing considerable decay. 
Indeed, in the entire statue the wood shows evi- 
dence of great age, save in the head of the Virgin, 
which seems to have been wonderfully preser\'ed, 
probably by the application of some sort of priming 
or varnish, as described above. It is altogether an 
extremely fine piece of early wood-sculpture. 

S. Y. S. 




Carved Wood jMadonna 
Late Fifteenth Century 



METAL WORK RECENTLY ACQUIRED 

There have been added to the collection of English pewter of the eighteenth 
century a mustard pot, a covered tankard and an oval platter or meat dish mea- 
suring twenty-five inches in length, with a movable drainer, perforated in an 
unusually handsome pattern. The platter bears the mark of John Townsend, 
London, dating from about 1784, and is the gift of Miss Letitia A. Humphreys. 

Two bell-metal mortars, recently acquired, are notable additions to the 
collection of metal work. They are elaborately ornamented with amorini, scroll 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 




Pewter Platter and Drainer 

By John Townsend, London, about 1784 

Gift of Miss Letitia A. Humphreys 




Large Bronze Mortars 

Dated 1637 and 1738 

Dutch 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 5 

work, cornucopias and foliage in low relief. Around the top of one is the inscrip- 
tion, "Henryck ten Horst me fec3rt Daventrias Anno 1637." It measures seven 
and three-quarters inches in height. The other, of slightly smaller size, is 
inscribed, "A Crombosch voor Daniel van der Kemme Ao 1738." These 




Sheffield Basket 
Eighteenth Century 

beautiful examples of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries are of Dutch 
workmanship and serve to illustrate the care with which the artisans of the 
period embellished their most utilitarian articles. 

Among the accessions obtained by piu-chase is a Sheffield plate fruit basket 
■decorated with bands of cut work and openwork border design of peaches. It 



6 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

is a fine example illustrating the best period of the English art of rolling silver 
plate on a copper base, when the ware was light in weight and equaled in delicate 
workmanship and artistic treatment the best productions of the eighteenth 
century silversmith. 



THE BRONZE GROUPS IN FRONT OF MEMORIAL HALL 

Inquiries are frequently received relative to the history and significance of 
the two colossal bronze groups which stand on massive pedestals at either side 
of the broad approach to Memorial Hall. They represent winged horses, one 
attended by Calliope, the other bj^ Erato, the muses of epic and erotic poetry. 
These Pegasus groups, designed by a sculptor named Piltz, were made for the 




Pennsvlva.ma AIl'seum 

Memorial Hall 

Showing Pegasus Groups in Front 



Opera House in Vienna and are said to have cost the Austrian Government 
200,000 florins ($80,000 gold). 

After being put in place it was found that they did not harmonize with the 
florid architectural style of the building, and the Austrian Government then 
ordered them to be melted. The superintendent of the bronze foundry, however, 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



desiring that works of such merit should not be destroyed, obtained permission 
to seU them intact, at the price of old bronze metal. 

Mr. Robert H. Gratz, traveling abroad, was in Vienna at the time, and 
contracted to purchase them. After the contract was completed, and when the 
bronzes were boxed ready for shipment, the Austrian Government, hearing of the 
sale, tried to prevent its consiunmation, and Prince Swatzenberg offered twice 
the stun paid for them, desiring to place them on a gateway at the entrance to 
his villa. The Directors of the Opera House also desired to have them again. 

After considerable trouble, the bronzes were shipped to this country, and 
were accepted by the Commissioners of Fairmount Park in 1870, and placed in 
front of Memorial HaU just previous to the opening of the Centennial Exhibition. 

Following is the list of eminent subscribers to the purchase fund : 



R. H. Gratz 
A. E. Borie 
John F. Smith 
M. W. Baldwin Est. 
William Weightman 
J. Gillingham Fell 
Thomas Sparks 
Fairman Rogers 



George Bullock 
R. D. Wood & Co. 
A. D. Jessup 
Anspach & Stanton 
A. J. Drexel 
George W. Childs 
H. C. Gibson 
Jay Cooke & Co. 



E. W. Clarke & Co. 
Charles Wheeler 
J. D. Starr & Sons 
Merrick & Sons 
H. Disston & Son 
Thomas Dolan 
M. Baird & Co. 



SOFA OF THE LOUIS XVI. PERIOD 

A sofa of the early Louis XVI. period was secured recently by the Museum at 
a sale of antique furniture. The piece is a distinct addition to the already fine 
collection of the period owned by the institution. It is a long sofa divided into 
four sections, each back and seat being upholstered and presenting the general 
effect of four chairs built together. The outline of the backs, although these are 
upholstered, is of the lyre type. The wood work, adorned with beadings and 
rosettes, is painted in white touched up with gilt ; and the entire sofa is as grace- 
ful in its lines as it is charmingly light. The value of the piece is increased by the 
fact that it is signed at both ends by the cabinet-maker, who was a well-known 
maker of the period, "Henri Jacob." He is mentioned by Lady DUke in her 
valuable work on "French Decorative Furniture of the Eighteenth Century" 
(p. 234) as having been received into the Paris Corporation of Master Cabinet 
Makers on the 29th of September, 1779. 

The sofa originally was evolved from the bench, through the lounge or day 
bed. In the early inventories of the seventeenth century such entries are found: 
"un lit de repos en canape." In one of these, the following words in addition 
are explicit: "Composed of two mattresses, two bolsters, two pillows, and the 
bed-cover to which are attached three hangings, the whole of brocade of gold and 
silver and nattiral flowers. Silver grotmd trimmed with fringes, etc." This 
might well describe a bed. Another argimient advanced by Havard (Vol. 1, 



8 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



Article "Canape") is that the first sofas of the seventeenth and eighteenth cen- 
turies were provided with mattresses. In inventories of 1674 and 1755 the 
canape or sofa is described as " a canape with its mattress and pillow covered with 
brocade." 

Be this as it may, the sofa, although recent, becomes frequent at the end of 
the seventeenth century. Under Louis XV. it reaches its brilliant era and 
becomes of extreme elegance. The variety of its forms and size is then infinite, 
ranging from the sofa for two persons to the double sofa convenient for use in long 
galleries and the double-backed sofa-bed. The conclusion to which Havard 
comes is that the sofa-bed, of which the modem cabinet-makers regard them- 
selves as the inventors, goes back really some two hundred years. 




Quadruple Chair Sofa 
French, Louis XVI. Period 

However all this may be, by the end of the eighteenth centvury, cabinet 
makers allowed full play to their imagination and the graceful specimen recently 
acquired is one of many charming fancies carried out by them at this period. 

S. Y. S. 



VANDALISM IN CHINA 

During the past year or so there have appeared in New York shops nume- 
rous detached stone heads of ancient Chinese sculptures which have been placed 
on sale at high prices. Several of them have been offered to this Museum, but 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 9 

liave been declined on the ground that the head of a statue alone, which, under 
favorable conditions could have been obtained in a complete condition, is of 
little value, either from an artistic or an ethnological standpoint. Unlike the 
ancient Greek statuary which is so often found only in a fragmentary condition, 
the figures from which these heads have been broken were until recently standing 
intact. On account of the difficulty presented in mo^-ing and transporting 
-entire statues of great bulk and weight and the stUl greater difficulty of getting 
them out of the country, the agents of certain European and American dealers 
iiave resorted to the practice of knocking off the heads, which coidd be removed 
with little fear of detection. This form of vandalism in China has in the past few 
years become so common that the danger of wholesale destruction of its most 
highly valued and venerated antiquities has compelled the Chinese Government 
to take steps to check the e^ol. 

There would seem to be only one way, however, to effectually discourage 
this form of iconoclasm, which is by the concerted action of museums and col- 
lectors in refusing to purchase dissevered heads or other worthless fragments of 
Oriental car\dngs which are manifestly the ill-gotten loot of European despoilers. 

The acti\dties of the miscreant who deliberately mutilates a priceless carv- 
ing for the purpose of obtaining a tithe of its actual value may be compared with 
the act of the house-breaker who steals valuable pieces of ancestral plate and 
melts them up to realize the mere price of the metal. The head of an image 
which has been deliberately separated from its body possesses about as much 
value for educational purposes as the silver bidlion which is taken from the 
burglar's melting pot. 

At a recent meeting of the Executive Committee of the Pennsjdvania 
Museum and School of Industrial Art, the Secretary was authorized to communi- 
cate with the Chinese Goveminent, indorsing the mo^'ement of the Asiatic Insti- 
tute of New York for the preservation of the antiquities of China. 



NOTES 

Bequest. — Through the bequest of the late Francis T. Stdly Darley the 
Museimi has received a choice collection of Greco-Roman pottery and a large 
cabinet with elaborateh' modeled bronze ornamentation, an exact reproduction 
of the celebrated Grand Bibliotheque preserved in the Garde Meuble of Paris, 
made by permission of the French Government by Georges Roux of Paris for 
exhibition at the Chicago Fair of 1893. 

For the use of the students at the School of Industrial Art were wUled a 
collection of canned cabinets, a series of European bronzes and porcelains and 
bric-a-brac in great variety. 

The Museum has also been made a beneficiary to the extent of a tenth of the 
residuary estate and the School of a like amount. 



10 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

Iron Work. — ^An important addition to the collection of early American 
metal work, the gift of Mr. John T. Morris, consists of a large group of Pennsyl- 
vania decorated cast iron stove plates with Biblical and historical scenes in relief 

dating from 1749 to 1800. 

* * * 

Attendance. — During the year 1914 the attendance at the Museitm was 
326,700, a slight increase over that of the preceding year. The admissions since 
the Museum was first opened to the public in 1877 to December 31, 1914, as 
shown by carefully kept records, have reached the enormous total of 10,186,817, 
or an average of 275,319 for each of the thirty-seven years. 

* * * 

Colonial Room. — The room on the north side of the building, which has 
been ftimished in Colonial style by Mrs. Frederick Thurston Mason, as a memo- 
rial to her sister, the late Miss Anna P. Stevenson, has been opened to the public, 
but other objects will be added from time to time, as suitable examples can 

be procured. 

* * * 

Furniture. — As we go to press the Museum has received from Italy, 
through the generosity of Miss Nina Lea, a suite of bedroom fumitvire, consisting 
of fifteen pieces, elaborately carved, gilded and painted, which is of such artistic 
and historical importance that it will be fully described in a special article in the 
April number of the Bulletin, In the meantime the furniture will be installed 
in the large apartment adjoining Mrs. Mason's Colonial roora. 

* * * 

Entertainment. — The fifth annual entertainment, under the auspices of 
the Associate Committee of Women, for the benefit of the Pennsylvania Museum 
and School of Industrial Art, was held at the Belle\nie-Stratford, Wednesday 
evening, December 2, 1914. The programme consisted of a costume ball, 
pageant and fantasy, — "The Feast of the Cherry Blossoms," and a play pre- 
sented by The Plays and Players, entitled "The Flower of Yeddo." The per- 
formance was most successful, both from an artistic and financial standpoint. 

* * * 

Cassone. — The Museum has recently acquired by purchase a notable 
Italian cassone of the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century, made of wood with 







BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 11 

relief ornamentation in gilded gesso. The front panel bears a painted coat-of- 
arms which, on account of great age, is scarcely distinguishable, but which it is 
hoped may yet be identified. 

School Notes. — There is a marked improvement in the quality of the 
students registered this season from the public schools of the city, due to the 
elimination of candidates from the grammar grades and the giving of scholarships 
only to graduates from the High and Manual Training Schools. This has practi- 
cally suppressed the "preparatory' ' section, and enabled the members of the 
entering class to keep together as one body. It also facilitates the organization 
by the students, of the various helpful associations — "Guilds" — (which were 
inaugurated some time ago) as the differences of age, attainment, as well as 
ability to progress, formerly interfered considerably with their effective adminis- 
tration. The Guilds organized by last year's entering class have so far this 
season presented four "talks" to the newer students; by Mr. C. P. Andrade, of 
the faculty; Mr. Herbert Johnston, of the Curtis Publishing Company; Mr. 
Thornton Oakley, of the faculty', and Mr. George Harding, the illustrator. The 
Girls' Guild has planned to have talks given by women upon practical efficiency 
and the essentials in training for it. The Boys' Guild is collecting data in rela- 
tion to the mediaeval guilds in all countries, and also preparing certain movements 
for the better advertisement of the School's work. 

Owing to the financial and business difficulties of the present season, a 
considerable number of former students were obliged to take positions instead 
of retmning to the School to finish their courses; but several classes are closed 
to further registration, as they are filled to their capacity. 

Mrs. William T. Carter has offered two prizes to students of the design 
classes this season, the first for an original lace design; the second for the best 
rendering of historic costume. The latter is particularly timely, as this class has 
grown from special to regular sessions, and the course is now formulated for the 
year. It comprehends two types of workers : those whose aim is to study costume 
and the rendering of it, as a basis for the expression of original ideas on the 
subject, and those who supply the reproductions of actual creations, for maga- 
zines, catalogues and newspapers, as well as for the larger dressmakers and 
theatrical costumers, who submit suggestions to clients. The students of this 
class also work from the costumed model. 

The grille and gate made for the new residence of Mr. Frick, in New York 
City, have been completed and installed, and the extraordinary impression they 
have made upon architects and builders has flooded Mr. Yellin with orders, 
difficult, if not impossible, to carry out where a time limit is imposed, as a suffi- 
cient number of capable workmen is not obtainable. An appeal has been made to 
the Belgian consul to secure if possible the services of some of the many skilled 
smiths of Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent, but he finds it impracticable to locate any 
of those who have fled as refugees, or by chance remained inactively in the 
cities. 

In November the Alumni Association gave its yearly reception to all the 
new pupils of the School, and on December 12th held its annual meeting for the 
election of officers. On these occasions the opportunity for the more recent mem- 



"12 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

bers, either of classes or the organization, to meet those who have gone out into 
the practical working world, is presented, and each year its value more recognized. 
Miss Helen Taylor purchased abroad, the past summer, a fine collection of 
printed reproductions of famous works of art, in monochrome and color.which 
she has presented to the School. These were exhibited in the anteroom, and 
some of the photographs, made at the same time by Mr. Copeland while traveling 
in Belgium, Holland and Italy, were shown in the large meeting room. Many 
of these were specially taken for Mr. Copeland's decorative work, for which he is 
now executing delayed conmiissions, aided by Mr. Sinnock, and the results of 
their summer's experience tell in the subjects under way, the chief of these being 
a very large panel for the assembly hall of the Trenton, N. J., High School, 
i illustrating the benefits of education which America confers upon the foreign 
population coming to this country. 

The effect of the summer's study is also shown in the work of Mr. Edwards, 
who has designed a gate for one of the passageways to the School's exhibition 
room; and is supervising its execution by the younger pupils in the wrought iron 
class, very much in the way the mediccval craftsmen trained their apprentices, — 
the kind of influence and guidance which is almost wholly lacking in the latter- 
day workman's life, and from the absence of which his product suffers severely. 
The style of the gate is Florentine renaissance, rather simple in character, the 
chief ornamental element being a wrought, typically kite-shaped shield charged 
with three smaller regularly fonned shields, which stand in heraldrj' for the three 
arts of architecture, sculptiu-e and painting. The work is to be finished and 
placed in position in time for the annual exhibition in June. 

Another very difficult problem, which is to be Mr. Edwards' own handiwork, 
is a great lantern, also Florentine, but of the Gothic period. The elaborate, 
pierced foils, and the raised heraldic decorations which surround the lower part, 
are of beautiful proportions, and require very skilful forging. These subjects 
woTold have been impossible of conception without contact mth, and study of, 
the originals which set the high standards of the Italian craftsman, and the dis- 
ciplined composition of trained artist-artisans. 

It will probably be gratifying to those interested in the textile school to hear 
of the active part which it and its former students are taking in current affairs. 

Mr. Robert T. Francis, who entered the textile school in 1894, has recently 
been elected president of the American Association of Woolen and Worsted 
Manufacttu-ers. Mr. Francis has always been very active in the textile industry 
and has kept in close connection with his alma mater. 

On November 30th, the Master Dyers' Association held their annual ban- 
quet at the Manufacturers' Club. Mr. William J. Wall, secretary of the associ- 
ation, is a former student of the School, as are many of the members of the associ- 
ation. Among the speakers were Mr. Edward W. France, director of the Textile 
School, and Mr. L. Da Costa Ward, head of the Department of Chemistry and 
Dyeing. 

That the influence of the School is strongly felt by users of textiles, as well as 
by manufacturers, is evidenced bj^ the fact that the services of the School were 
recently solicited to formulate specifications for the uniform cloths to be used by 
the Police Department of the City of New York. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANL\ MUSEUM 13 

A'somewhat delayed letter from Russia, written by Mr. C. A. Moes, who was 
a student of the School last year, states that he will not be able to return to 
America for an indefinite period. Mr. Moes is a captain in the Second Russian 
Reserves. As soon as the war is over, or as soon as he may be permitted to leave 
Russia, Mr. Moes anticipates completing his course in woolen and worsted manu- 
facture. 

Mr. E. L. Duhring, a graduate of the School, has been secured as instructor 
in the Department of Chemistry and Dyeing. This position was formerly held by 
Mr. Leon Hoffmann, who severed his connection with the institution during 
the past siunmer. 




Silver Chalice, Set With Amethysts 

Designed and Executed by Frederic Charles Clayter 

A Student of the School 



14 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



ACCESSIONS 
October — December, 1914 



CLASS 



Arms and 
Armor 

Carvings 



Ceramics 



Enamels on 
Metal 



Furniture 



Glass 



Metal work 



Musical 

Instruments 



OBJECT 



HOW ACQUIRED 



Short Sword (Tanto), Japanese. 



Wood Carving, St. Anne and the Virgin, German. 
Fourteenth Century 

Wood Carving, Madonna and Child, French. Fif- 
teenth Century 



20; Pottery Salt- I 
1820 I 



23 Pieces of Pottery and Porcelain 
Porcelain Cup, by Kast, Paris, c. 1 
Cellar, Staffordshire, England, c. 
15 Pieces of Pottery and Porcelain 
Large Porcelain Figure Group, Modem French 

Exhibit of 6 Square Plaques, Showing Successive 
Stages in the Manufacture of Cloisonne Enamel. . . 

Mahogany Chair, Chippendale Style, American, c. 
1790 

2 Carved Oak Settees. Italian 

Large Cabinet, Copy of an Eighteenth Century 

Piece, French 

Coiled Straw Rope Basket, American Early Nine- 
teenth Century 

Walnut Low-Boy, Chippendale Style, American, c. 
1800 

Mahogany Corner Wash-Stand, Sheraton Style, 
American. Early Nineteenth Century 

Carved and Gilded Cassone, Italian, Sixteenth Cen- 
tury 

3 Coiled Straw Rope Baskets and 1 Bee-Hive, Penn- 
sylvania-German, Early Nineteenth Century 

Wooden Chest, Inlaid Designs, Pennsvlvania-German, 
1783 

Small Mirror in Mahogany Frame, Pennsylvania- 
German 

Louis XVI. Sofa. French 



Lent by Mr. Charles Sumner Hawkins, 

Given by Mrs. John Harrison. 

By Purchase. 

Lent by Dr. Edwin A. Barber. 

Given by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 
Bequest of Francis T. S. Darley. 
Lent by Mr. John Williams Patten. 

From the Estate of Caleb J. Milne. 

Given by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 
■ Bequest of Francis T. S. Darley. 

Given by Mrs. William D. Frishmuth. 
Given by Mrs. Frederick T. Mason. 



■ By Purchase. 



21 Pieces of Glass 

Small Double Glass Bottle, American, Early Nine- 
teenth Century 

Glass Vase, Venetian 

2 Small Iridescent Glass Bottles, Old Roman 



3 Examples of Ornamental Wrought Iron Work, 
American 

7 Small Bronze Ornaments, Old Roman 

Pewter Platter, by John Townsend. London. Eng- 
land, c. 1784 

1 1 Cast Iron Stove Plates, Pennsylvania-German, 
Mid-Eighteenth Century 

2 Druggists' Mortars, Dutch. Seventeenth and Eigh- 
teenth Centuries 

Engraved Tin Coffee Pot, Pennsylvania-German, 
Nineteenth Century 

Copper Tea Kettle, Bv Daniel Grauel. Philadelphia. 
1814 

Pewter Tankard and Mustard Pot, English, Eigh- 
teenth Century 

Pair of Brass Snuffers and Painted Tin Tray. Penn- 
sylvania-German 

Cast Iron Stove, "Dance of Death" Design, Eastern 
Pennsylvania, 1 749 

Old Brass Saxhorn 

Zanze, Africa, Nineteenth Century 



Lent by Dr. Edwin A. Barber. 

Given by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 
> Bequest of Francis T. S. Darley. 

\ Bequest of Francis T. S. Darley. 

Given by Miss Letitia A. Humphreys. 
Given by Mr. John T. Morris. 



Bv Purchase. 



Given by Mrs. Wm. D. Frishmuth. 
By Purchase. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



15 



ACCESSIONS.— CoH//nwfJ. 



CLASS 



OBJECT 



HOW ACQUIRED 



Silversmith's 
Work 



Textiles 



Miscellaneous 



Silver Creamer, Made by S. Kirk and Son Co., 
Baltimore, Md., c. J817 

Silver Sugar Tongs, Butter Knife, 3 Table Spoons, 
10 Teaspoons. 1 Coffee Spoon, and 2 Salt Spoons, 
Old American 

Sheffield Plate Cake Basket. English. Late Eighteenth 
Century 



Green Velvet Hanging. Italian. Seventeenth Century 

Hand-Spun Linen Towel, American. Early Nine- 
teenth Century 

Brown Velvet Bag, Beaded Designs 

12 Fragments of Old Gold and Silver Laces, Em- 
broideries, etc., Italian 

5 Samplers, American, Late Eighteenth and Early 
Nineteenth Centuries i 

Embroidered Handkerchief of Pina Cloth, Philippine ! 

Islands I 

Piece of India Cashmere, Chinese Robe, and Frag- ; 

ments of Brocade 

2 Dolls I 

Tin Nutmeg Grater, American, Early Nineteenth 
Century | 

6 Plaster Casts of Antique Pottery , 

12 Objects. Including Farm Implements. Kitchen 

Utensils, etc., Pennsylvania-German. Old I 

19 Objects Added to the Frishmuth Antiquarian Col- i 
lection 



[ Given by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 

By Purchase. 

Given by Mr. H. Burlingham. 

Given by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 
Lent by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 

Given by Mr. Samuel B. Dean. 

Given by Miss Letitia A. Humphreys. 

Given by Mrs. John Markoe. 

Given by Mr. John Williams Patten. 
Lent by Miss Mary E. Sinnott. 

Given by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 
Bequest of Francis T. S. Darley. 

Given by Mr. H. K. Deisher. 

Given by Mrs. Wm. D. Frishmuth. 




Salt Glazed Stoneware 
Designed and Modeled by Students of the School 



MEMBERSHIP 

The Trustees of the Pennsylvania Museum 
and School of Industrial Art desire the 
active co-operation of all public-spirited 
citizens who are known to be in sympathy 
with its educational work. All such persons 
are invited to become members. 

CLASSIFICATION OF MEMBERS 

Patron Members in Perpetuity — Those who 
contribute the sum of $5000 or more whether 
in money or objects for the Museum. 

Fellowship Members in Perpetuity — Those 
who contribute $1000 at one time. 

Life Members — Those who contribute the 
sum of $100 or more at one time. 

Annual Members — Those who contribute 
not less than $10 yearly. 

The contributions received from Patrons 
($5000), and from Life Members ($100), are 
added to the permanent Endowment Fund. 
Contributions from Annual Members ($10) 
are used to the best advantage in the de- 
velopment of the Museum and the School. 

ADVANTAGES OF MEMBERSHIP 

All members are entitled to the following 
benefits: 

The right to vote and transact business 
at the Annual Meeting. 

Invitations to all general receptions and 
exhibitions held at the Museum and the 
School. 

Free access to the Museum and School 
Libraries and admission to all lectures. 

Also a copy of each of the following pub- 
lications: 

The Annual Report of the Corporation. 

The Annual Circulars of the School of 
Applied Art and the Philadelphia Textile 
School. 

The Art Handbooks and Art Primers, 
issued from time to time by the Museum 
(a printed list of publications will be mailed 
to any member on application). 

The Illustrated Quarterly Bulletin of the 
Museum. 

A list of members is published each year 
in the Annual Report. 

Applications for membership, and remit- 
tances should be sent to The Secretary, 
P. M. & S. I. A., Memorial Hall, Fairmount 
Park, Philadelphia, Pa. 

HOURS OF ADMISSION 

The Museum is open, free to the public, 
every day in the year. 
Opening Hours: 
Mondays at 12 M. 
Other Week Days at 9.30 A. M. 
Sundays at 1 P. M. 
Closing Hours: 

During the summer months, 5 P. M. 

(Sundays, 6 P. M.) 
During the winter months, a half hour 
before sunset. 



CATALOGUES, HANDBOOKS, ETC. 

(On sale at the South Entrance) 

Handbook of the Museum $0. 25 

A Brief History of the Bayeux Tapestry . 10 
Cork Models of Windsor Castle, Tower 
of London, Westminster Abbey, 

Church of St. Peter, Rome 10 

The Great Seals of England 25 

Handbook of the Collection of Tulip 
Ware of the Pennsylvania-German 
Potters: 

Paper cover 1 . GO 

Large paper edition. Cloth 5 . GO 

Handbook of the Maiolica of Mexico: 

Paper cover 1 . 00 

Flexible Art Canvas 2 . OO 

Art Primer No. 3, Lead Glazed Pottery .50 
Art Primer No. 5, Tin Enameled Pot- 
tery 50 

Art Primer No. 6, Salt Glazed Stone- 
ware 50 

Art Primer No. 9, Hard Paste Porce- 
lain 50 

Art Primer No. 11, Artificial Soft Paste 

Porcelain 50 

Bulletin of the Pennsylvania Museum 

(quarterly), per annum 1 . GO 



Friends of the Institution who desire 
to devise to it money should use the fol- 
lowing : 

Form of Bequest 

I give and bequeath unto the Pennsyl- 
vania Museum and School of Industrial Art 

the sum of dollars 

for the use of the said Corporation. 

Witnesses 



Form of Devise of Real Estate 

I give and devise unto the Pennsylvania 
Museum and School of Industrial Art, its 
successors and assigns, all that certain (here 
insert a description of the property) for the 
use of the said Corporation. 



Witnesses .. 



PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



UUSBUM COMMITTES 



John Story Jbnks, Chairman 
Thomas Skelton Harrison 
John H. McFadden 
John D. McIlhenny 
John T. Morris 
John W. Pepper 



Edgar V. Seeler 
Mrs. W. T. Carter 
Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 
Mrs. John Harrison 
Miss Fannie S. Magbb 
Miss Elizabeth C. Roberts 



Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg, Ex-Offido 

Edwin AtLeb Barber, Director of the Museum 

Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson, Assistant Curator and Lecturer 

HORORARY CURATORS 

Textiles, Lace and Embroidery Mrs. John Harrison 

Oriental Pottery Mrs. Jones Wister 

European Porcelain Rev. Alfred Duane Pbll 

Arms and Armor Cornelius Stevenson 

Furniture and Woodwork Gustav Ketterer 

Musical Instruments Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 

Numismatics F. D. Langenheim 

Sculpture, Marbles and Casts Alexander Stirling Caldbr 

INSTRUCTION COMMITTEE 



Theodore C. Search, Chairman 
Charles Bond 
Mrs. John Harrison 
Thomas Skelton Harrison 
John Story Jenks 
John D. McIlhenny 
Edgar V. Seeler 
James F. Sullivan 
William Wood 



Mrs. Rodman B. Ellison 
Mrs. F. K. Hipple , 
Miss Nina Lea 
Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs 
Mrs. Thomas Roberts 
Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 
Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 
Mrs. John Wister 
Mrs. Jones Wister 



Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg, \Ea:-0#«'o 

ASSOCIATE COHMITTBB OF WOMEN TO THE BOARD OK TRUSTEES 

President 
Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg 
Fint Vice-Preudenl Second Vice-President 

Miss Nina Lea Mrs. C. Leland Harrison 



Secretary 
Mrs. Henry S. Grove 

Mrs. Edwin Swift Balch Mrs. 

Mrs. Jasper Yeates Brinton Mrs. 

Miss 

Mrs. 

Mrs. 

Mrs. 

Mrs. 

Mrs. 

Mrs. 

Miss 

Mrs. 



Treasiuer 

Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 



Mrs. John H. Brinton 

Mrs. William T. Carter 

Miss Margaret Clyde 

Miss Margaret L. Corlies 

Miss Ada M. Crozer 

Mrs. David E. Dallam 

Mrs. Rodman B. Ellison 

Countess Santa Eulalia 

Miss Cornelia L. Ewing 

Mrs. George Harrison Frazier Mrs. 

Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth Mrs. 



W. W. GiBBs Mrs. 

John Harrison Mrs. 

M. S. Hinchman Miss 

F. K. Hipple Mrs. 

Harold W, How Miss 

J. L. Ketterlinus Mrs. 

George G. M. Large Mrs. 

Robert R. Logan Mrs. 

Howard Longstreth Mrs. 

Fannie S. Magee Mrs. 

Arthur V. Meigs Mrs. 

James Mifflin Mrs. 
Francis P. Milne 



Thornton Oakley 
Charles Platt, 3d 
Elizabeth C. Roberts 
Thomas Roberts 
Mary E. Sinnott 
C. Shillard Smith 
Cornelius Stevenson 
Edward T. Stotesbury 
William H. Walbaum 
A. B. Weimer 
John Wister 
Jones Wister 



honorary member 

Mrs. M. Hampton Todd